Thursday, March 31, 2005

My First Spinning Adventure!
I had so much fun! Leanne was very nice and a great teacher, and has been spinning for over 30 years. She is very knowledgable and I know I am going to learn a lot from her. I, however, am not a great spinner yet. It definately takes some coordination and getting used to the way it all works together. But, I really enjoy spinning.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here is my spindle. She taught me how to spin on a bottom whorl. She said that it was easier to learn because of where the weight is.
Here is what I have spun so far.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On my spindle.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On her spindle. It is a lot heavier, and it helps keep some of the weight down.
The hardest part is not loosing the twist. I finally figured out how I needed to wind it so I didn't loose the twist. I'm also having trouble with some coordinating of when to draft and when to twist. I have some spots that look ok and then I get a bunch of slubs. Practice makes perfect I guess.
I'm having great fun doing it! I know it is going to take me a lot of practice and I know I will want to get a wheel soon, but I think I have to be a bit patient and get the hang of it better.
I also didn't know how many different types of spindles there are. Leanne has some gorgeous ones. I am sure they are another thing that is very easy to collect.
I'm off to get a bit of housework done and spin some more!! Have a great day everyone!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Papa Smurf said...

Yo, what's smurfing, crazy knitting human! Say, I could sure use a new pair of pants, how about smurfing me up a pair? How about cashmere with a hemp lining? That would be smurfy!

1:58 PM  
Blogger shizzknits said...

Looks great for your first try! You shoulda seen my first try...looked like rope! LOL
Enjoy your spinning!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Secret Pal said...

Great start, Gracie!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Wendy G said...

I know you are having fun spinning. Glad you found a good teacher. Have a good weekend.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow. I've been wanting to learn to spin too, but have been a little intimidated. I think you've inspired me. Great job for your first try.

9:54 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

How fun! I am sure you will get the hang of it soon.
Thanks for the warning about weaving in the ends of the Peppermint Twist sweater. Yuck...I hate weaving in ends to begin with!
Have a great weekend!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jenifer said...

Yea, Gracie! I can't wait to learn to spin myself ... one of these days. Jenifer

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks so much for the welcome to RAOK! It's great thatyou started spinning.....I have to master knitting first!

4:08 PM  
Blogger tiffany said...

Yay!!!! You're spinning now :D Good going Gracie! You'll be hooked before you know it. Phoebe is darling!

http://www.20six.co.uk/princessknits

~PS - I just made up the pattern for the drink holders. I forget how many sts I casted on in 2X rib, knit in the round.

2:13 PM  
Blogger linda said...

Gracie, what type of spindle did you purchase?

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home