Sunday, February 12, 2006

And the torch is lit.....

Ok, so I didn't exactly start my Olympic knitting on time. But, this fact was slightly under control given that the printer refused to cooperate. And, I also can't help it that my yarn from Knitpicks and the Latvian Mitten book came in the mail. So, during the Opening Ceremonites, I started on this...

The progress is SLOW going. I never would have imagined myself knitting on toothpicks/size 1 needles. I am enjoying watching the pattern develop, but it is a little frustrating because the yarn twists so much. Does anyone know how to help this or am I just SOL? The only other Fair Isle I've done just worked 2 colors at a time and I used bobbins, so I didn't carry the yarn as much.

But, on the official first day of competition, I started Mairead that I am test knitting for Figheadh Yarnworks.

Not too much visually exciting progress, but the Cascade Superwash is really nice to work with, and bigger needles are always a nice change! I am working on the baby bunting first, which is worked from the bottom up. So, I've got 14 inches of stockinette before the bodice of the bunting. I think it is going to be so adorable, it is going to be hard to wait to start on the bodice and the cables. But, since it needs to be functional, I need to suck it up and take one for the team and knit the 14 inches.

A special thanks to my Felted SP for the lovely books I got in the mail this past week (sorry I haven't posted about it before).

Felted Knits and Knit One, Felt Too. I adore both of them and I can't wait to work on some of the projects!

And because we all know you are dying to see cute Olive, here she is...

She has a skin condition and she has to go to the vet for a bath every week for the next several weeks, so she comes back with a cute little bandana. I'm trying to keep up with pictures of her every week so we have some of her baby pictures. I think she just wants to be a model, she likes having her picture taken.

Have a fabulous Sunday afternoon, and stay warm to all of those who are stuck in the snow. It is a good excuse to stay in and knit!

11 Comments:

Blogger Mitchypoo said...

I LOVE the colors of your sock, it's really pretty. And about the twisting, the only thing i would suggest is if you have a ball winder, rip and wind the yarn from the inside out and knit from the other end. Olive is so pretty!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Jean said...

oooh. Pretty, pretty colors. Love the softness. And that Olive... what a cutie. I smile every time I think of her name. It's perfect for her. But I already said that, didn't I? ;-)

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Good start so far on Mairead - at least the stockinette will be completely mindless so you can pay attention to the Olympics on tv!

And Olive...oh I just want to eat her up! Sooooo dang cute!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Oh, pink and brown! :) Great combo, girlfriend!

Olive is so precious!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous wendy g said...

The mittens are going to be so pretty and I love the colors. Olive is a real cutie!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

The sock looks pretty so far. I like the colours you are using.

The bunting is looking good, and at least it is 14 inches of mindless knitting that you can do while watching TV or a movie or something...just be glad it isn't 14 inches on the small sock needles ;o) lol.

Olive is such a cutie! She looks so cute with her bandana!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous another Shelley said...

I just did some mittens from the Felted Knits book--I should say A mitten as I ran out of yarn and have to spin some more. Come and look at the before and after (felting) pictures-it was amazing!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Nyxxie said...

Aww too cute!!! Your fair iles looks wonderful too. When I am working on mine I carried a color on each hand. So I knit one American style and the other cont. style. worked pretty well actually since I am a thrower!

8:36 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

ooo you know I love that pink and brown combo! its looking great.

my lord! Olive has grown!!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

beautiful colors...
i love Olive is just so precious..

9:34 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

I love the pink and brown combo! Looks awesome. and I can't wait for a full report on the Cascade superwash -- I'm considering it as yarn for dh's sweater.

Hugs to Olive -- she is the cutest little bean =)

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home