Tuesday, February 07, 2006

In Which Gracie Discovers the Value of The Right Yarn for the Right Project

So, do we all remember that lovely coral sweater that I was working on? Well, it no longer exists. It ended up looking like this...

It is hard to tell here, but that could wrap around my body twice. I learned that this particular yarn has an issue with stretching sideways even if you get the right gauge in a small swatch. I then reduced the stitches by close to half and preceded to start again. Then I got to thinking that I am going to have to adjust the sweater from now on. Which leads me into more math than I wanted to do for this sweater. Now, I like the sweater and all, but not that much. And, I figured the yarn might not be the best given its extrodinary stretching ability. And, the very next day is when I came upon the fabulous yarn sale. So, I started this....

Sitcom Chic in the Brown Sheep Cotton. So far so good. I think it is going to be a great versatile sweater for down here.


I also started working on my Sockapaloooza Pal's socks. Now, I had quite a dilemma in figuring out the best yarn to use after my recent sock stash additions. My pal gave me carte blanc so any yarn was in the running. But, I decided to go for the Wildfoote because I had the most of it, and I figured I wanted to make them a decent length and I would stress out with the CTH.

I'm using the Embossed Leaves pattern from IK several issues ago. I'm pretty pleased with it so far, I think the subtle pattern in the yarn works well with the leaves so you actually see them pretty well. This is my first time making socks using dpns. I've got another pair on my circulars, so I thought I would give this way a try. So far, so good. However, I can see how loosing that other dpn can/will become an issue.

Have a great day everyone!!

11 Comments:

Blogger --Deb said...

Live and learn, right? At least you had the comfort of having made a swatch in the first place--so it's not like you didn't TRY to be responsible!

Oh, um, and I don't see a picture . . .

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

oooh, brown sheep cotton. great yarn. and the embossed leaves pattern looks pretty!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Nyxxie said...

Wow sorry about the sweater but I am glad you told me I was thinking to make one out of the same thing! LOL
Glad you found something else that will work for you.
Cannot wait to see it finished.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

I have that same color in Wildfoote. You will have to keep us updated on how you like the feel.

The color is gorgeous.

Kudo's BTW, on knowing when to throw in the towel. It usually takes me a bit longer!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous wendy g said...

The Embossed Leaf pattern is is looking good with the Widlfoote.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Sorry about the coral sweater...that was such a pretty colour. Hope the other one goes much much better.

Love the socks!! They are looking great so far and I'm sure they'll turn out well for you on the dpn's.

10:14 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

At least you realized the sideway stretch factor before you were sewing in the sleeves! I think those socks will look beautiful in that color!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Emily said...

Hey! Embossed leaves! They look great in the Wildfoote - isn't that a great yarn?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I love the color of your now defunct sweater, I hope you find a project that works with the yarn cause I bet you look smashing in that color!

I love your socks! Funny how one knitter's nightmare is another knitter's dream...I used wildfoote in Sockapalooza 1 and I hated EVERY stitch...the yarn was splitty and kept twisting up on itself!! And here you are (as well as your readers) loving it!

Thanks for the comments on my shawl, Grace...you should knit yourself a nice cotton shawl now that you're a southern belle like me :)

4:06 AM  
Blogger Soggy Desert Rat said...

Those will be yummy socks!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I like the combination of your pink needles and purple yarn. So pretty and girly.. :)

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home