Saturday, February 18, 2006

New Project - Buy More Yarn!



I've joined Lolly's Project Spectrum, and I finally decided what I am going to do! I am slightly copycating several others and I am going to knit socks. However, I decided to add a slight twist and dye my own sock yarn. Since the whole purpose of the project is to explore color, what better way than through dying! I was going to try and branch out into other forms of craftyness (if that can be a word!), but with the house being a disaster, I figured sticking to knitting would be a good safe bet. I've ordered some merino dye your own sock yarn as well as Yarns to Dye For. Now, I just have to find some dye! What are some of your favorite dyes to use? I want to use something more permanent than Kool-Aid, although I may play with that as well.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

Knitting Olympics Report - 11 inches of the body down!! Yipee!

8 Comments:

Blogger sUsAn said...

That's a great idea! I've never dyed yarn before but have heard that the acid dyes (am not so familiar with brand names) are good.

6:38 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

I just joined Lolly's Project Spectrum tonight too! As far as the dye to use for socks I used Kool-Aid and it came out great! Too easy. Used Paton's Classic Merino wool. Cute site. Check out my new site and you can take my button for your link.

8:41 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

I joined it as well. I'm probably going to do socks and some spinning. I used acid dyes when dyeing my fiber...I order them from ProChem. You can get color packs around themes: Fall, Spring, basics, etc.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Leah said...

As Amanda said, ProChem has some sets of WashFast Acid Dyes that make it easy. I am also going to check into the Lanaset/Sabraset Dyes that the Twisted Sisters fave about.

What a great idea, Gracie!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Lu said...

I order mine from http://www.dharmatrading.com/

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Rob said...

Hi,

Just visited your blog and enjoyed it -- especially liked the picture of cute Olive -- but I got here by traveling around the Knitters Review ring, and can't find your link to the next blog in that ring. Did I miss it?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

I'm in Project Spectrum too, and figured I'd be making socks as well. Who knows, something else might come up at some point and I'll make something else, or do something non-knitting related for it...

7:04 AM  
Anonymous wendy g said...

Looking forward to your new project. Looks like you will win the gold too!

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home