Saturday, March 04, 2006

Project Spectrum - Dying Experiment One

First off, I have to say that this was so much fun. I really enjoyed playing with the colors and seeing how they came out. I learned a lot and I know it will come in handy after dying the other yarns in months to come. I present a photodocumentary of my first big girl dying experience.....
The Setup

Yarns to Dye For was a really really helpful book, I def reccomend it. I chose to use Rit dye for the first pair, mostly because I didn't have to order it. I chose to do two similar colors a dark and a light form of pink (they are Fushia and Pink) to try and get more of a mottled effect in the finished product.

The first skein.

It was too hard to take pictures mid dye, so here is the first complete skein. I discovered that it was much better to paint in big swatches than do little stripes. I discovered this once the yarn was heat set, it ended up blending in parts a little more than what I thought it would. I heat set it in microwave, I think if I could hae heat set it in a steamer, I could have kept the sections a little bit more separated. I also discovered that plastic wrap does not microwave well.

The practice skein drying.

I was so surprised at how much more vibrant the dye turned out. I don't know what I am going to do with this little skein, probably keep it for posterity.

All wound up!

Ta da! Here they are all wound up! I am pretty darn pleased with how they turned out. I let them hang dry on hangers outside on the porch, it was a really really nice day outside. They didn't take long to dry at all.

A sock is born!

And, this is how the yarn looks all knitted up. I am really really pleased. I am using the Go with the Flow pattern from IK a while back. I think they are going to look fab and it is so fun to say that I dyed the yarn.

It is going to be great to see how they turn out as well as to try different techniques in the coming months.

I will be MIA for the next week. Olive and I are taking alittle road trip up to Auburn and then up to Atlanta to see my family for the week. My mom and I will also be going to the Atlanta Sewing and Quilting Expo. She is looking forward to seeing all of the new sewing stuff and they supposedly have some yarn/fiber vendors which I am super excited about! Have a wonderful week everyone!

And, may I present the dog that loves yarn. I def think she is mine!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Shelley said...

Green grass, pansies, were these pictures taken last summer? Your yarn is wonderful, and perfect for the new socks!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Hey, you did a fantastic job on the dying! The sock is looking great so far as well. I will have to try something more permanent than the kool aid at some point...maybe I should see about getting the book you mentioned as well.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Leah said...

Wow, your pink came out beautifully! I really like it! I use a tamale steamer to set my colors and it works really well. I didn't have much running at all.

Have fun on your trip and take lots of fibery pictures!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Niiicceee...your sock yarn looks an awful lot like some Tess' Designer Yarn I have.

Olive is such a naughty dog! I hope she doesn't like your yarn *too* much!

12:08 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

The dyeing looks great--that's something I haven't tried yet, so good for you! And, Olive! What did you do?? (grin)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

OOOO the yarn is beautiful! And it looks perfect in those socks!

Well done, Grace!

ave fun with Olive and the family!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous wendy g said...

Your yarn is beautiful as well as your sock. Have a great trip to Auburn and Atlanta. Love the picture of Olive.

10:12 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Ok, I am laughing out loud here over Olive! So you think that you would prefer Rit dye over Kool-Aid? I love how you chose a lighter and darker version of a color and applied it. The sock really cool.

6:45 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Gracie your yarn turned out beautifully! We (the wee royalty and I) just recently dyed some -- guess I should photo it. I haven't tried Rit yet but your colors are vivid and knit up beautifully.

Have a great trip!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Allena said...

lovely! that pink is beautiful! i'm going to have to try rit dye.

4:54 PM  
Blogger LittleMissMeshell said...

Wow, it looks AWESOME knitted up! Thanks so much for your little photo-essay on dying, it was really interesting...I really want to try it sometime, you've inspired me :P
MissMeshell xx

2:09 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

beautiful colors..
adorable doggie

5:11 PM  
Blogger eyeleen said...

Lovely stuff! I'm planning on dyeing for project spectrum as well.

Cute doggie! Mine love yarn just as much as yours.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous leah said...

well, it looks like you and your puppy were busy with the dying! oh so cute! nice sock

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Emily said...

Olive is so cute - she has really grown! Your yarn looks great - I can't wait to see the finished socks. Have fun in Atlanta!

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home