Monday, September 25, 2006

A little fall cooking

While it still feels like summer here, I know it is starting to be fall everywhere else. And, fall always makes me in the mood for certain foods. So, instead of knitting this afternoon, I baked some pumpkin bread and it is currently baking in the oven. It smells really good, and I can't wait for it to be done!

Prep: 10 min., Bake: 1 hr. This makes three loaves, so there are two to give away and one for you; they also freeze well.

3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
4 large eggs
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin

Stir together flour and remaining ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Divide batter evenly among 3 greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pans.
Bake at 350° for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted into center of each loaf comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: Makes 3 loaves

Mary McClure, Barboursville, West Virginia
Southern Living, OCTOBER 2005

I sometimes add, depending on my mood other things. I've added chocolate chips (which is really good) and pecans. It is a really great base recipe that you could add a variety of different things too. It reminds me a lot of a good banana bread, but with pumpkin.

7 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

oooh, yum!! thanks for the recipe, i'll definately keep this for future reference. i love banana bread, and i'm sure this will be just as good =)

4:59 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Great minds . . . I made pumpkin cake yesterday! Same idea, just a different shape!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Christy're said...

This will be on my list for weekend cooking!!

6:16 PM  
Blogger sUsAn said...

I love pumpkin bread! Thx for sharing this recipe. I made a double batch of banana bread/muffins yesterday and the children have already gobbled up half! Have a great day, Gracie!

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

I love pumpkin bread! I also like to put a little canned pumpkin in my pancakes on the weekend, along with some cinnamon and cloves.

The best banana bread recipe, btw, is in the Martha Stewart Cookbook: Collected Recipes for Everyday. OMG so good!

I joined the handmade christmas swap thingy, btw. You enabler, you!

9:46 AM  
Blogger GamecockDoc said...

Yum, I'm going to have to make this. I tried some last fall but it didn't come out quite right... time to try again.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

You have almost inspired me to cook! Almost!

Looks yummy!!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home