Thursday, September 14, 2006

Need a little spinning help!

I've been cleaning up closets and such these past few days and getting rid of various things. I've discovered the beauty of selling books on Amazon, and it is nice to be ushering some books out the door that I don't read anymore. So, I found where I packed my spindle and fleece and decided to give it a little spin (ha ha ha) yesterday afternoon. I now remembered why I got so frustrated with it, so I need a bit of help/advice!



This is my first attempt yesterday. I spun to smaller bits and then plied them together. I figured that I was not spinning the yarn tight enough because it came unraveled in a big mess that basically looked like I just pulled the fleece. Very frustrating.

So, after seaching on the internet a bit I figured out that I was indeed not spinning it tight enough and tried it again.



So, it is a bit better, but it still looks like it came unwound and I have thick parts that look like I basically just pulled the fleece into a tube. Here is a closeup of a single.



I had it a little tighter when I was spinning it, but it came unwound a little bit more. I'm afraid that if I spin any tighter it is just going to come unsnapped and be the thickness of sewing thread.

So help! How do I keep the twist in the yarn? I didn't wind the yarn into balls when I plied it together, and I don't know if that made a difference. I'm just so darn frustrated that i don't want to spin anymore. And, I know it takes practice and I'm competant enough to do it, but it is just frustrating when you end up with a big mess of fleece that resembles nothing like yarn. Unfortunately, we don't have any spinning resources down here so I can't just take it to someone. Grr....

So, any advice as to what I am doing wrong or what I could be doing better would be a great help! I know practice is going to help, but I feel like I am practicing wrong when it all ends up looking like it does.

Thanks yall!

7 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

Did you pre-draft? The thinner the section of roving your trying to spin the easier it will be to get the twist right.

11:26 AM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Hey girl, I don't spin but amazed at your great attempt!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

You would think I had some advice to offer, but I just recently aquired my own drop spindle. All my spinning to date has been on a wheel. What little I have spun suggests that your predraft well and never let go of the end of the yarn. Like I heard on a spinning DVD recently, treat the yarn like you would a two year old. Never let go of it!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I assume you're spinning your single plies in one direction (either S-twist ot Z-twist) and plying your two strands together in the opposite direction. If so, then I have no idea what would cause your plies not to stay together. If not - if you're spinning and plying in the same direction - then that would be the problem.

4:57 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

You can't give up! But yes--Laura's question--you DID spin the singles in one direction (say, clockwise) and then plied in the other (counter-clockwise), right?

And, a lot of the beginning stuff comes apart. I had to struggle quite a bit at first to get singles that didn't drift apart. In fact, I worked at the singles alone for days before I ever tried plying (not that the initial singles were even worth plying . . . they were really pretty dreadful!)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

I don't know how to spin, but I admire you for trying it when you have no resources/people there to help you. I'm the type of person that I would need an actual person to show me and help me so that I would know if I am doing it correctly. Don't give up, I have faith that you'll do it!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

LOL, to attempt spinning while at the end of a pregnancy after doing a bit of nesting? Guuuuuurrrrrlllllll! You Go!

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home